Ask Kimmy: “I Can’t Wear Skinny Jeans, Can I?” The “Skinny” on Ankle-Length Pants
Question: I bought a pair of skinny jeans. I know I’m late to the game in this but every time I try them on in a fitting room I think I just look fat and awful but I see lots of women wearing and looking good in them! Am I doing something wrong?”
In a word: Maybe? Without a doubt, one of my favorite tricks to make any lady look a little slimmer is to cuff her skinny jeans. I use it on all my clients, size 0 to size 16, and it works. Showing off that few inches of skinny skin has an incredible way of bringing proportion to your body. It shows off your tiniest bit, and is forgiving on curvy calves. Especially if you’re afraid of skinnies, a fold or two up your leg is just the trick to make you love the look!
Here’s what to look for in a great fitting skinny:
- The waistband should be curved to hide muffin tops at the sides and let you breathe through your stomach.
- The back pockets should be big enough to cover your derriere.
- The back pockets should sit low enough to cover your tushie and not bulge or pull anywhere.
- The leg should let out at the calf just a tiddlywink.
- They should have at least 2% stretch.
Brands I love in skinny jeans:
- Habitual (the best fit, ever)
- Mother (beautiful washes)
- Koral (especially if you have a muffin top)
- Gap (ummm, amazing)
- Old Navy (they stretch out though, so be careful!)
- Paige (consistent sizing but not always the best in trends)
- Cookie Johnson (plus size fit is great!)
- Bisou Bisou and Liz Claiborne at JCPenney (also great for 10-16!)
Popular brands like JBrand, Rag & Bone, J.Crew and Citizens of Humanity are not for everyone. I have a hard time with their back pockets and fabrics but they do have their place on many a woman. I have just noticed a high failure rate with them for my clients.
But here are some outfit ideas to wear with your cuffed skinnies! I’ve broken it down with the type of shoe to help you with the occasion.
With an oxford: wear your dark denim or stone washed blues with a hip-length crew or V-neck sweater, topped with an army jacket or shrunken cardigan.
With a ballerina: try cuffing your jean with a chambray or blue shirt (color pop optional).
With a cute slip-on loafer or tennis shoe: add it with a bright belt and silk collared blouse tucked in the front only (hide a booty with the back of the shirt). A topknot, scarf, and bangles complete the look.
With pointy toed heels and platforms: Pop it with a super cute sweatshirt and statement necklace. Beachy, unkempt hair is perfect, as is a bright lipstick.
Do you have any more questions for me? Or any tips you can provide Jill?! Leave them in the comments below!
MORE FASHION TIPS AND STYLE IDEAS:
Must Have Spring Trend: Colorful Clutches from Ferragamo, Antik Batik & More!
The 5 Undergarments Every Woman MUST Own
Ask Kimmy: Can I Wear a Dress to a Job Interview?
What She SHOULD Be Wearing: Miranda Lambert
Have a style question for me? Submit it to Ask Kimmy!